Thursday, December 26, 2013

Top Reads for 2013 ...

My gosh, the year  flew by ... and my self-imposed challenge to read 100 books in 2013 went unfulfilled, but not for lack of trying! I made it halfway to the goal and turned some exceptional pages, to boot! It's funny. I never really pushed the challenge on any of my family or friends, and yet a few people have chatted with me about my best reads of the year ... which got me thinking about the books that I've completed this year. I've always been a sucker for lists and so I'd like to toot my top ten (yeah, okay 11) books of the year ... no synopses, no ranting, just a few works of description ...




Realistic Fiction- grief and redemption ... haunting scenes of emotional isolation




YA Fantasy - the most bizarre and wonderful place with the coolest use of old photos to enhance the plot




Biography- a righteous man in an evil time who held his morals intact against Nazi bullies




Criminal Thriller- one kick-ass Crimie with an ending that will have you shaking your head




Fantasy - a darker than dark re-telling of the Peter Pan story with artwork that is phenomenal




Memoir - growing up in China - UGH - and cheering for the underdog kid



Dramatic Fiction - a chance in a lifetime, a good deed gone awry, a haunting story




Middle Reader Realistic Fiction - a remarkable young boy makes a big change for the better




Religion/Theology - separating the historical Jesus from the spiritual Savior




Biography - a remarkably talented woman creates an artistic haven for herself and fellow artists in Gloucester, MA




Historical Fiction - the beginning of a saga about New York - Grade A historical fiction


So there you go ... my faves for the year. It was hard picking a short list ... there have been so many good books. Reviewing the year, though, has made me realize that I did spread my reading across genres, which was one of the side goals for the 100 Book Challenge. It also made me happy to look back at the new authors that I discovered ... there are so many talented writers out there in the world! I am SO glad that I enjoy reading!I can hardly wait to begin a new year and start working on a new reading goal ... stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment