Saturday, January 25, 2014

Puzzling - Saturday Snapshot




If you're a cold weather hermit, like me, you get plenty of time to think while you putter away the winter days. This week, SB and I have been on individual pursuits. We were like toddlers that are at the same play group, but practice parallel play. SB stacked wood diligently in the kitchen wood catch. I took stock of the pantry cupboards and rearranged the various cans, jars, bags, and packets. A place for everything and everything in its place.

On another day, SB started one of his wintertime jigsaw puzzles. I sat across the room, cutting strips and squares for a new quilt - an Irish Chain variation that will either be a gift or a raffle quilt for our little church (haven't decided on that yet). Again, a place for everything and ... then, it occurred to me that while he was perfectly happy taking a pre-cut design and re-constructing it, I was happier taking wide swaths of colors that I like and turning them into my own design. I pondered that for a while and then thanked my lucky stars that I hooked myself up with someone who is happy to take life's social fabric as it is and make a successful go at negotiating it. I am too much the rebel and tend to go my own way, make my own comfortable routine, and damn the rest  of the world.

Like I said, quiet indoor time can lead one to thoughts and revelations that you'd probably never get around to exploring if you were running around crazy with the usual activity of life.




... shared at Saturday Snapshot ... thanks, Melinda for hosting!

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful! My youngest grandson would love that jigsaw puzzle. I love the colors in the quilt-in-progress. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Cold weather hermit"... I sure know what it's like when winter keeping us indoor, living here in Canada. But, I just found the cure for cabin fever. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Descriptions of puttery days make me grin. I have puttered, too, though we don't need those descriptions. Pantry puttering, puzzle puttering, quilting puttering–all good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love jigsaw puzzles! I don't get a chance to do them very often as I have small kids, though. I hope you post pictures of the quilt once its done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Saturday Puttering. There is something very peaceful about putting your mind in a certain direction – but lightly – so that there is still room for little observations and ponderings to float about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer school holidays in Sydney (& therefore, too hot some days to venture outside for long), but I like to pull out a 1000 piece puzzle every break & leave it on the table for the kids to do when they're bored.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post. I love your contemplations about jigsaws vs quilting. I'm much more a jigsaw puzzler than a quilter. I love the colours of your quilt though, I hope you show us the finished product one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a quilter but a puzzler!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Here is my snapshot post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good jigsaw puzzle. Our library has a cupboard fulll that you can just borrow as you want. I sort of like that you can get totally absorbed. But I also love a good quilt. Yours looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks fro your comment on my blog, Susan! I did enjoy my visit to the Museum of the City of New York very much, and I'n glad you enjoyed my post about it. I hope to be able to go back on future visits back to NYC.

    Your winter activities look very cozy and fulfilling. I also like winter for those reasons!

    ReplyDelete