Saturday, June 1, 2013

Back Yard Visitor - Saturday Snapshot



The other afternoon, my husband was out in the back yard doing some weeding and gardening tasks when he came upon a visitor. A huge Cecropia moth with a wingspan of about five inches was fanning its wings on the base of the lilac bush. He called me out to take pictures and was pretty amazed that I knew exactly the type of moth we were welcoming to the yard.




Further, when I came into the house and consulted my book on moths and butterflies (I'm such a science geek!), I found that we were dealing with a female Cecropia. The massive body was a dead give away. So, my question to you is what a proper 'name' for her might be ! Got any ideas? I kind of like Zsa Zsa ... so elegant and flashy.

This Saturday Snapshot is being shared with others at West Metro Mommy. Melinda has hosted Saturday Snapshot, a photoshare that encourages bloggers to share original snapshots and short posts concerning them ... head on over and check it out! Get your camera out and join in on the fun! heck! You never know what you'll find in your own back yard ! 


14 comments:

  1. I have never seen anything like it! I only know those garden variety brown moths. For a moment there, I thought this was a butterfly. It's so colourful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's absolutely stunning! Yep, Zsa Zsa is appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics! Amazingly you got a good angle! Nicely Susan!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an amazing looking moth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful! I think Zsa Zsa suits her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing that you have time to get your camera, go out and take a photo. Beautiful creature it is! And looks like it stayed still just to wait for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think that the moth had just 'hatched' out of its cocoon, as it sat very still for a few hours, just fanning its wings slowly, back and forth. That is a behavior that the newly hatched perform to work the fluids into the wings that make the wings stiffen for flight. Pure kismet!

      Delete
  7. What an amazing creature. Those colours are just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, great close-ups! And they are definitely gorgeous and colorful. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    I love Prague, too, only my visits are only through photos and my son's descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is just beautiful, what a great surprise for you! Maybe you can call her Queenie since she looks quite regal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's a beauty! How lovely to find her in your yard. All I get are those brown moths that eat my veggie garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I noticed how big the body was right away too. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Extraordinary colours, that red is sensational. Actually the red/black and white body patterning is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful shot!

    ReplyDelete